Sunday, April 15, 2012

Squares and Angles?

Hello Fellow Bloggers,

Squares and Angles.  Storni.  Not being a huge fan of math I was wondering what a poem with that title could do for me, but as I started reading my doubts melted away.  The image that this short and simple poem puts into my mind is one that is intriguing yet relatable.

As the world becomes more and more "blended", men going out to work every day, women staying with the kids one would go crazy living in this circle.  This poem is trying to mock suburbia as more Americans are migrating to this world.  I really enjoy Storni's work as it challenges her reader to take a look at their lives and make them wonder if they are living as they hope.  She sheds light on the "norms" of society (mainly women's rights) and speaks of change towards a better and equal world.

"Squares and Angles" is a very nice puzzle that is easily put together by thinking. The gaps that Storni leaves for her readers to fill, allows them to think in a way to challenge change in the world.

Yours in Writing,
Hailey Browne

No comments:

Post a Comment