Sunday, April 15, 2012

Oh the Wonders of Love

Hello Fellow Bloggers,

I'm not really sure if most people understand this about me.  Maybe its because I don't really appear as a softy or that I play hockey, who knows.  But I am a huge sucker for a romantic poem. I fell in love with Tagore's "No. 5" which I wrote about in my last post, but another poem that has tugged at my heart strings and stayed in my mind is Neruda's poem, "Tonight I can Write".

Now not all love poems have to be about the warm fuzzy feeling that people get when they are in love, it can also be the agonizing pain when that love is gone.  The tone throughout this poem is not extremely sad but you can sense the despair that Neruda feels.  This piece he is voicing his discontent of his lovers absence from his life and her lack of love for him.  He is unaware the feeling that he has for his lover and the feelings that she has for him in return.  He jumps back in forth between "I love her", "I don't love her", and "maybe I do love her".  It is a very chaotic feel which is exactly what happens when one is in love.

I really enjoy when poets write about humanly feelings as it is a great way to relate and connect to the poem.  Poems like this have a deeper impact, to me at least.  Although it is interesting and entertaining to decipher deeper meanings behind a more cryptic poem, having a nice straight forward poem that is about emotion and nothing more is a very nice balance.  I thoroughly enjoyed "Tonight I can Write" by Neruda.

Yours in Writing,
Hailey Browne

No comments:

Post a Comment