Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Same Old Same Old

Hello Fellow Bloggers,

I don't know if its been just these past couple readings where the same pattern happens over and over again.    The short stories that we have been assignment have just been doing the same thing! droning on and on about daily life patterns over the span of page after page and then BOOM something happens and the story ends. Do these authors really think they can make up for dullness of their stories by just one incredible thing happening at the end? I think not.

First we see it Achebe's Things Fall Apart, when all that really happens throughout the story is a few tribal stories are said and then yams are harvested.  And then all of a sudden in a chaotic event over about 2 pages, Okonkwo chops off the head of a messenger then he hangs himself, the end. Although Achebe did try to spark our interests the same old saying just jumps back into my head, "too little too late".  Then we see it in Joyce's The Dead, when again all that really happens is Gabriel thinking he's too good for everyone and Mr. Browne making a drunk fool of himself.  And then all of a sudden Gabriel learns of his wife's past lover who killed himself for her, the end.  Once again too little too late.  I hope you are all sensing a pattern in my writing using the same pattern and order for my analysis of these two stories.  Gets a little annoying don't you think?

Just when I thought I had gotten away from the monotony, I read Snow Country.  Probably the worst short story for patterns being repeated.  Komako getting drunk, going to  Shimamura's room and sleeping with him, sound familiar? This was basically the whole story I am sorry to say that I greatly disliked this story, nothing happened until the very end when a building set on fire killing Yoko.  Maybe there are some deeper meanings that I am supposed to decipher from these texts... but they were just so boring that I couldn't see past the words on the page.  I apologizing for ripping to shreds three of the last few stories we read but aren't blogs meant to voice opinions?


Yours in Frustration,
Hailey Browne



No comments:

Post a Comment