Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Oh the Joy of Essays

Hello Fellow Bloggers,

In World Classics I expected a lot more essays to be written.   I was pleasantly surprised to find out we only had to complete two (Thank you Dr. Reed)!  In writing 2 essay's I feel like I put more effort into each one spending time crafting it into my very own masterpiece.

Although, I found the first essay to be very insightful to research this one was all the more pleasing.  I research tons of websites and even used a REAL PRINTED BOOK!

I enjoyed the fact that we had to pick a theme that drove the author in their writing.  This was especially challenging with the poem I chose to dissect..."The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" by T.S Eliot.  This was a challenge I brought onto myself for no other reason than to say I could.

I spun his words and morphed them into my own meaning as there is really no other way to do it.  I researched his background to see if that had any clue to the hidden meaning behind lines such as, "The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the window-panes"(16).  WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN! Well after careful research I figured out that the yellow smoke Eliot talks about is actually the smoke that comes from the pollution from power plants near his home in St. Louis, Missouri.

Figuring out little tidbits like mentioned above are great epiphany moments that left me satisfied for the rest of the night :)

I hope all of you had as fruitful as an experience as I did trying on different lenses and figuring out themes in your poems or short stories!


Yours in writing,
Hailey Browne

No comments:

Post a Comment